May 5, 2011

Winnipeg - Prairies...

The bus from Banff to Winnipeg was supposed to last 22 hours maximum but the thing to know is that this week end, there was a huge snow storm in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. For security, they decided to close the highways between the provinces and we ended in waiting 4 hours in Regina for the roads to re-open. It could have been worse. At least I met some people to talk a bit.
I don't blame Greyhound for this, it was not their fault but I have one problem with their global organization... How can they sell more tickets than the number of seats available in the bus and then wait until the last minute to hire an other bus? I think they have a real problem... Aren't they able to register the number of tickets sold or do they just like seeing the mess in the bus depot and angry people waiting to see if they'll finally be able to go where they want to? I bet for the second option...

Anyway, the ride was long but still bearable and we arrived in Winnipeg with "only" a few hours late. The landscapes were by far less interesting than the Rockies. Great Canadian Prairies...






My first impression of Winnipeg? None, haha... it was the night... But I started to be a bit paranoid because I met different guys in different places who made me promise to not walk alone at night in Winnipeg... Sounds a bit scaring, no? Finally, I didn't get any trouble but I was curious so I checked on the Internet and discovered that Winnipeg is apparently the Canadian city which has the highest rate of crimes. I heard many things about it before but not that. Usually, the first thing that people say about this city is something like this.



I've just spent a bit less than two days there but I prefer it to Calgary. There are more things to see, I think, especially cultural and historical stuffs such as the French area, Saint-Boniface, and the Manitoba Museum.


I haven't done a lot of things - everything closed quite early in fact - and I admit that it's not a major touristic area to see in Canada but it was not as bad as what people told me.



For a short stop in Winnipeg I recommend going to Saint-Boniface, the Forks, the Legislative Buildings and wandering around in the city centre. That's basically all I've done...

No comments:

Post a Comment