May 27, 2011

Road Trip : Prince Edward Island

I arrived in Charlottetown, the capital city of Prince Edward Island, in the afternoon about 3 pm.
To go to PEI - which is by the way the smallest province in Canada - you have to take the Confederation bridge, a 12 km bridge which links the island to New Brunswick. This is quite expensive : 43$ that you have to pay when you leave the province. But this is amazing and you don't have to pay for any other highway so that's not bad. Someone told me this is the longest bridge of that kind in North America. I don't know if it's true or not and i'm too lazy to google it...

So, when I arrived in Charlottetown, which is at 45 min by car from the bridge, I checked in at the hostel and I decided to visit the town during the rest of the day. It's a tiny town but it's nice. This is an important place in the history of Canada. If I remember this is the place were they signed the first paper which defined Canada as a country. But I'm not sure...
In short this is a nice place but there's not that much to see and I think that one afternoon to wander around in downtown was enough for me to get an idea of the town.
Honestly I liked it, it's just that it is not worth it to spend a lot of time there.

The HI hostel was nice too but I have to admit that I stayed in my room all the time, planning the next day of my trip, so I didn't meet anyone.

The next day I decided to spend the morning driving in PEI before heading to Nova Scotia. First I wanted to drive along the Central trail, a road which goes around the central part of the island but it looked a bit long for only one morning so finally I just went to Cavendish, a place famous because there is the house of the famous character Anne of Green Gables (book) near. I don't really care about Anne - who is probably the first reason why people go to PEI... - and I just entered in the national park to see the nothern coast with the red soil. It was really beautiful.
After that, I drove to the southern coast to Victoria. Nothing special, it was just to stop for a while.
By the way, I almost got a fine for speed limit excess in a scholar zone but the policeman understood that I was a poor tourist who was fighting with her GPS so he just asked me to be careful... Thanks Mr Policeman!

To make a not so long story shorter... I would just say that PEI is very nice. I really liked the red soil, it makes all the colours look very saturated and I love saturated colours....

No comments:

Post a Comment