May 8, 2011

The Canadian to Toronto

"The Canadian" is the name of the train between Vancouver and Toronto, which runs 3 times a week and takes something like 4 days to go from one city to the other one.


Actually, I think this is the best way to travel across Canada - obviously not the cheapest - because you don't have to worry about anything. I mean, it's not like the bus at all... It's comfortable - even in the economy class, you can stop wherever you want if you ask in advance, there's a restaurant and a snack shop, you can see amazing landscapes (especially in the "panoramic" car), etc.
You can still walk in the train if you need to stretch your legs and you can sleep better than in the bus. At least that's what I felt.


From Winnipeg to Toronto, it's a 1 day and 9 hours ride and I thought it would just be boring but, in fact, time flew and I had an amazing trip. The fact that you don't have access to a shower is probably the worst thing when you take the train but it's the same for everyone in the economy class so at the end you don't really care : we were all stinking... (just kidding)
The fact that you can plug and use your computer is a plus, especially if you have some movies to watch - and even if you don't have any, it's easy to find someone who has some... And this Summer, it will be even better because they'll install WiFi in all of their trains.
Moreover, it's so easy to meet people that you can just talk for many hours and forget that you're on a train.



I really liked this trip and I met many people, as well Canadian as French in fact, and we just talked about many things like what you have to see in Canada. And I met a man who's from Nova Scotia and he just invited me to come to see him and his wife in Annapolis Royal when I'll be there. That's great!
Then I ate with my new friends before going to the "panoramic" car to enjoy the sunset and the view on the lakes of Ontario.


The bad thing with this train is that it doesn't go everywhere you want... That's why I haven't taken it from Vancouver. Instead of going "directly" from Vancouver to Toronto by following the US border, it goes in the North to Jasper and Edmonton before going to Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

Anyway it was memorable. I like the fact that I experienced different ways to travel in Canada and I'm just waiting for driving in the East. But before that, I think I'll take the train to go to Ottawa and Québec after Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment