April 21, 2011

Victoria, nice Victoria

Known as the capital city of British Columbia, Victoria is an other place that you have to see when you're in that part of the globe. And that's what I did for one day and a half last weekend.


Everyone told me before I went : "you'll see, one day is enough". I started to think so from the first afternoon there but now, I know there are places that I've never heard of before and that I should have seen...


Anyway, I arrived in Victoria around 6 pm on Sunday and after having checked-in at the Ocean Island Hostel, I decided to discover Victoria downtown by walking for a few hours. Nice place, nice architecture, probably the perfect place for a retired couple on holidays. I walked for a while, enjoying the good weather, the sunset and then the lights of the city. And then, at the end of the day, I was thinking : "one more day... I have to go to some touristic places cause I can't spend one more day wandering around in Downtown". That's when I decided to go to the Butchart Gardens and the Royal BC Museum on Monday.




The gardens in the morning and then the museum in the afternoon. As a stupid girl as I can be sometimes, I've just checked quickly the public transportation to go to the Butchart Gardens on the Internet. Sometimes I think I should always take a map or note everything... Anyway, I missed the stop where I had to change the bus and I ended waiting for a bus along the highway for half an hour. But it was not so bad... good weather at least.



Butchart Gardens is a nice place, like Victoria. Unfortunately, I think it was not the best season to go and finally there was not a lot of things to see but I enjoyed the walk.



The museum is also a good place to see. I'm not really in fond of real stuffed animals and I think that most of that kind of exhibitions are just disgusting - especially the way they put them in the jars and the showcases. I preferred the exhibition floor about the native people and the history of Vancouver Island. In short, it was interesting and I saw for the first time some works by Emily Carr, a famous artist of BC. (it's not the kind of paintings I like in fact...).


Even if I didn't plan to wander around once again, I did it, because I had nothing else to do. It was too late to visit an other place and too early to go back to the hostel. So I tried to go to different places and I walked again and again for a few hours. That's it for the sightseeing!


I met some people in my co-ed room in the hostel and I had a nice time with them the first night. The second one, I met by chance some people I've met before in Vancouver and I had a great time!


These two days in Victoria were nice and the way I visited it is the way I travel usually. Starting by wandering around to see what's interesting or not and then chose some places to spend more time. I've certainly missed many things but it was goooood.

No comments:

Post a Comment